Sunday, April 25, 2010

Does Islam serves as the overarching political mentor?

Dear Aziz,

I agree with you completely, I was looking to see how an Afghan saw these guys operations. I find it very interesting that they seem to pick and choose between Islam and Pashtunwali. Is it that they are looking for an answer to allow them to do what they want (i.e. the conflict between tribes and the prohibition of fighting a Muslim)?

I find your insight very helpful. While I am very much interested in Afghanistan, I fear I have come to the table to late to understand everything. This is why I try to maintain dialogue with the folks I have come to work with who are Afghan.

As to the interaction of Islam and the community. Does this occur because Islam serves as the overarching political mentor? It is very commendable that Islam retains its obligation toward the poor through the Zakat (at least in some areas). A major issue in our country has been the separation of church and state. With this separation the government generally assumes responsibilities that were previously found in religious orders, i.e. the schools, hospitals, orphanages, etc.

If I remember correctly, I believe you said your school was primarily Hazara. How do they view the conflict that is occurring. I have a number of Hazara friends, I have always found them to be very inquisitive, much more so than the other ethnic groups.

I will read you post in more detail and put together a reply. I must say that I cannot overstate my appreciation for your thoughts.

Cheers,
Rob

No comments:

Post a Comment